Pea Guacamole With Avocado
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 10 (1/4-cup) servings
Nutritional value per serving: 71 calories, 2 g protein, 3 g fiber, 2 g sugar
• 3 cups frozen green peas, thawed
• 1–2 medium garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2½ tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed from 1 lime
• 1 lime, zested
• ½ cup fresh cilantro
• 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled, cored, and diced
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• ¾ teaspoon sea salt, plus additional for seasoning to taste
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus additional for seasoning to taste
• Whole-wheat pita, whole-grain flatbread crackers, or gluten-free crackers
In a food processor, pulse the green peas, garlic, olive oil, lime juice and zest, and cilantro until almost smooth but still chunky. Scrape down the sides.
In a medium bowl, combine the green pea mixture, avocado, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper. Mash with a fork until combined but still chunky. Add additional sea salt and black pepper to taste. Serve on toasted whole-wheat pita, whole-grain flatbread crackers, or gluten-free crackers, if desired.
This easy-to-make, nutrient-dense, powerhouse variation of the classic guacamole is a delicious way to include more fruit, vegetables, and protein in your diet.